Friday, December 15, 2006

Uh-Oh, Another Honorary Oscar

Ennio Morricone was a terrific choice to get an honorary Oscar and a tribute to him could be very entertaining. But I think the Academy Awards should limit itself to ONE onscreen tribute per year. Hearing two (and often three) lengthy celebrations of people diminishes the honor to all of them and brings the show to a dead halt, especially when most of the awards are for behind the scenes folk most viewers have never heard of and don't care about. Case in point: Sherry Lansing. She's getting an honorary Oscar for her humanitarian work. Wonderful. God bless her. Let her stand up briefly and receive some applaus as an intro to the Ennio Morricone tribute. If we have to hear a lengthy rundown of charity work and then get a boring speech from Lansing, it'll contribute to the snoozefest that is Oscar. No one producing the Oscars has free rein, but if I did I could improve the darn thing mightily and do a better job of showcasing movies. Eliminating all but one honorary Oscar to the broadcast would be one of my first steps. They can give out ten a year for all I care, just don;t clutter up my awards show with 'em.

No comments: